Starring: Annette Benning, Meg Ryan, Debra Messing, Eva Mendes, and a slew of other A-list womenI was surprised by this film. First off, I found out it was a remake of a 1930s film of the same name. I think that might be what made it good still today. Old movies are the best and it seemed from the special features that besides a bit of modernization, the script was very similar. Secondly, I was skeptical because it had been recommended to me and I'm always weary of recommendations. When people "talk up" a movie it makes me more critical of it while watching but I was not disappointed. On a superficial note though, I will admit that Meg Ryan's hair drove me crazy until she straightened it!
I won't say it's my favorite movie but I did think it was smartly made. It portrayed many levels of women that I could relate to. I appreciated that Debra Messing's character was not dumbed down or ridiculed for being "just a mom." I also liked that Meg Ryan's character admitted to being part of the problem for her divorce rather than laying all the blame on her husband's feet (it took her a while to get there but she did admit it finally). I thought it was interesting that they showed Eva Mendes' character having no shame for being a homewrecker. A lot of times the blame is put on the men for "looking" outside the marriage but this movie makes it clear that he was seduced by Mendes' character. Not saying he's without fault but I did appreciate the different spin.
All in all I think it was an entertaining watch; a fun movie for the girls to watch together. I know Nolan would hate it. That's precisely why I rented it while he was gone!