Thursday, February 18, 2010

Paper Heart


Starring Charlyne Yi, Michael Cera, and Jake Johnson

Let me explain why I wanted to watch this movie. I love Michael Cera. I have to say that I'm a little bit disappointed in the movies he decides to be in (Year One and Youth in Revolt for example) but I still enjoy watching him. Yes, I know he's pretty type-casted now as the soft-spoken loser right now but give him a chance, I think he could be great. I love him as George Micheal in the cancelled series Arrested Development--oh does that show make me happy.

Enough of Mr. Cera though. On to Paper Heart.

It was confusing to me but I think I now have a handle on it. At first I thought it was going to be a love story between the main characters and in a way, it is. It's also a documentary about love in general though. Charlyne Yi doesn't believe in the Hollywood-made romances portrayed in movies so she's not sure she is capable of romance or love. She goes on a quest for the definition of love. She interviews bikers, a divorce lawyer and her husband a family courts judge, high school sweethearts, young couples as well as middle-aged and older. She also goes to Vegas and interviews a few 'little white chapel' officiates (including Elvis).Then she meets Michael Cera and by the end she still doesn't know exactly what love is but she wants to risk the hurt in order to find out.

A few scenes were really great and fun. I have to insert here that Jake Johnson who plays Charlyne's friend Nick (also the director of the documentary) is great to watch. I don't think I've seen him in anything else but there's something entertaining about watching him too; he was very likeable. I have to also say, a few of the scenes are painfully awkward. My favorite parts were the real stories told by interviewed couples and I liked the silly ending.

Overall I'd give it 3 out of 5 stars if I had to rate it. I'd like to give it more but the awkward scenes were too squirmy to ignore.