By Ron Hall & Denver MooreI read this book to participate in my online book club. In fact, at the time it was announced we were reading this I didn't think I would be able to read it because we couldn't afford to purchase it. I put in a request but hadn't heard from any one in the book club but a week before the discussion started I received a package all the way from Surrey, England! A fellow book club member was gracious enough to donate a copy! Thanks, Rebecca!
I was warned that this book is a tear-jerker but that always sets my defenses on high. Same as the movie P.S. I Love You. All anyone ever told me was that I would weep so of course I didn't since I'm stubborn like that. I digress...
This book was an uplifting story and I greatly appreciated hearing how a simple act of caring was able to change lives. Deborah did not do more than have a will to serve and a lot of determination but God was able to use that in might ways. I also appreciated the juxtaposition of a black homeless man's struggles set against an affluent white man's. It reminded me that struggles are struggles. What is difficult for one man may not be the same for another and yet, each struggle is validated. Each person has his own path but God is sovereign.