Elbert's Bad Word by Audrey Wood; illustrated by Don & Audrey WoodThis was Emery's naptime book of choice this afternoon. I have read other Audrey & Don Wood books but this one was new to me. It's great. The concept of words having their own entity and power is a great theme. Plus, it is completely true that we don't realize bad words can be captured and stored away until the most inopportune times (such as having your big toe smashed by a croquet mallet). The illustrations are great, as always from these two and the vocabulary pushes the 'norm' for children's books. Even though Em fell asleep as I read it, I still enjoyed the story! Some of my other Wood favorites are:
The Napping House (one of Em's latest favorites)
Piggies
The Little Mouse, The Red Ripe Strawberry and The Big Hungry Bear
Ones I'm going to check out:
Quick as a Cricket
Silly Sally
Heckedy Peg
Weird Parents